AREC Appoints New Chair, Vice Chair
November 2, 2020
The Alabama Real Estate Commission (AREC) held its monthly meeting on October 22. All but one commissioners were present at the meeting during which they seated a new member, elected officers, approved minutes from the September meeting (see those here), and conducted hearings.
Ms. Jimmie Ann Campbell, whose term runs through September 2025, was sworn in as the commissioner for the 2nd Congressional District. The swearing-in ceremony was followed by the election of Carole Harrison (3rd District) and Reid Cummings (1st District) as chair and vice chair, respectively, in accordance with the law requiring the Commission to elect a new chair and vice chair any time a new commissioner is seated.
According to Director Vaughn Poe’s report, the budget for fiscal year 2022 looks similar to 2021, but that may change depending on impacts from COVID-19 on items such as travel. Poe also mentioned that the Recovery Fund paid out close to $50,000 on a case. The Commission then heard applications and complaints, although the Commission deferred two of the complaints because the licensees/defendants did not attend the meeting. The Commission took the following actions:
- approved two applications for a determination on licensing eligibility,
- approved several extensions to deadlines,
- found a licensee/defendant guilty for submitting a bad check fining him $250,
- denied a request to hold a license after a previous revocation,
- approved a hardship request to renew a lapsed broker’s license, and
- denied a request to waive the late fee for late renewal of a salesperson license.
The Commission meets again on November 19, 2020 at 9:00 am in Montgomery.