December 12, 2017
Association News & Departments:
Alabama Real Estate Commission Nominations: The terms of two Commissioners are set to expire in 2018 and they are not eligible for re-appointment – 4th Congressional District and African-American At-Large. Alabama statute requires AAR to nominate three individuals for each vacancy, of which two must be REALTOR® members and one a non-member licensee. If you’re interested in being considered for one of these vacancies, please see the AAR website here for more information.
Capitol Conference: Registration is now open! For more information, or to register, visit the AAR website here. We’re also offering a pre-conference sporting clay shoot and cookout on Sunday, February 4th. Proceeds benefit the Disaster Relief Fund.
Professionalism: Leadership AAR is returning in 2018, along with our GRI and REBAC offerings. Watch the AAR website for announcements on those opportunities, as well as the spring “Fair Housing for All” course schedule.
Legal: The Legal Helpdesk continues to be one of the most popular features on our website and in the weekly newsletter, Real Estate Alabama. Read past articles or submit a question here.
Public Policy: Preparations are underway for the 2018 Legislative session. AAR will pursue legislation establishing a First Time Homebuyer’s Savings Account program in Alabama that would allow individuals to save and grow funds for homeownership.
Legislative Session Starts: January 9
2018 State Elections: Primary Elections are on Tuesday, June 5. In 2018, all 140 Legislative House and Senate seats and constitutional offices are up for election.
ARPAC: As of November 30, we’ve raised a record $757,003.86, which is 126% of our goal! And we have 212 Major Investors.
NAR Third Cycle Core Standards Certification: Certification of our local boards is nearly complete, with only 3 of 28 local boards remaining to be certified.
AAR Governance: A summary of proposals passed at the AAR Annual Convention can be read here.
NAR Governance: A summary of proposals passed at the NAR Annual Convention can be read here.
2018 Dates to Keep in Mind:
- February 5-6 AAR Capitol Conference in Montgomery. Detailed information and registration access can be found here. The program will focus on leadership training with Adorna Carroll and Bruce Aydt. REALTOR® Day will be the afternoon of the 6th. Although REALTOR® Day is free, you must register to participate.
- March 20 NAR Tech Edge, which focuses on ways to implement technology trends in support of our businesses. The advance registration fee is approximately $49. More information can be found here.
- May 14-19 NAR Mid-Year Meeting in Washington D.C.
- August 5-7 NAR Leadership Summit in Chicago, IL.
- August 21-22 AAR Public Policy Forum in Montgomery, AL.
- October 14-16 AAR Annual Convention in Montgomery, AL.
- November 2-5 NAR Annual Convention in Boston, MA.