STAR ID: What You Need to Know About New Drivers License Requirement

STAR ID: What You Need to Know About New Drivers License Requirement

The clock is ticking towards the deadline for Alabama’s STAR ID.

Here’s what you need to know about STAR ID and how it could change travel in the future:

The basics
Starting Oct. 1, 2020, every air traveler will be required to present a REAL ID-compliant license or other acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel. The STAR ID (STAR stands for Secure, Trusted and Reliable) will also be required for entrance to some government facilities, such as military bases.

What is a REAL-ID compliant license?
A REAL-ID compliant license is one that meets and is issued by a state that complies with the REAL ID Act’s security standards.

What’s the REAL ID Act?
In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005. The law set additional standards for state-issued identifications, such as drivers licenses. The STAR ID meets all the requirements set under the REAL ID Act.

How long have STAR IDs been around in Alabama?
Alabama started issuing STAR IDs in 2011 but, as of last week, only 450,000 have been issued.

Will the new ID look different?
The STAR ID will look like a regular drivers license but will have a star on the top of the card.

Where do I get a STAR ID?
STAR IDs are only issued at Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Drivers License exam offices. County license and probate judges offices will provide renewals for STAR IDs but won’t issues new ones.

What do I need to get a STAR ID?
STAR ID applicants must present four documents to verify their identity, date of birth, Social Security number and address. Acceptable documents include:

To verify identity and date of birth:

  • Valid, unexpired United States Passport
  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by Department of Homeland Security or Immigration and Naturalization Service
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS (Form I-766 or Form I-688B)
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. Visa affixed, accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the U.S.
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS (Form N-560 or N-561)

If the applicant’s name has changed from the document due to things such as marriage, adoption court order, etc., an official document verifying the change is required.

To verify Social Security number:

  • Social Security card
  • United States Military Form DD 214
  • Medicare/Medicaid Identification Card (if Social Security Number is followed by the letter A)
  • W-2 Tax Form

To verify address, applicants must supply any two of the following documents:

  • Voter Registration Card
  • Residential mortgage control
  • Current lease or rental agreement for housing
  • Proof of payment of residential property tax (homestead)
  • Previous year tax returns bearing applicants address
  • Vehicle registration bearing applicants name and address
  • Utility bill (water, gas or electric) less than 90 days old
  • Any state or federal court documents indicating residence address
  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
  • Sex offender registration documents
  • Current homeowners insurance policy with name and address
  • Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
  • U.S. or state government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
  • Military orders documenting duty station and place of residence.

What if I don’t have a STAR ID? Can I still fly?
Yes, other forms of identification are acceptable. According to the TSA, adult passengers 18 and older will be required to show:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card

You can see more acceptable IDs here.

According to the TSA
A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification. A temporary driver’s license won’t suffice, either.

Article and Photo Source: "Star ID: What you need to know about new drivers license requirement" (October 3, 2019)  Leada Gore